Thursday, March 8, 2012

PEACH FRUIT CAKE

Suzanne Clarke's recipe from Home Cooking Secrets of Trinity Area
Fort Point Lioness Club Cookbook 1982 -1983
1 cup Butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, beaten (ow..ow...stop it...stop...ow..etc)
1 20 oz can of peaches, drained and chopped (or crushed, either way is sadistic) -save the juice
2 tsp vanilla (oh shoot, I misread this and put in 3 tsps - and I use the expensive real stuff)
3 cups flour (I knew there was a 3 there somewhere)
1 tsp baking powder (Don't ask why, I'm sure 1 tsp doesn't make any difference...)
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups raisins
1 1/2 cup glacé cherries (Steve found the e with the accent online for me, and also managed to screw up the rest of my font, but I still love him and am thankful for his ability to make me laugh.)
1 cup coconut

Cream butter, sugar and eggs. Blend in peaches, raisins, cherries and coconut. Add vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking powder and fold into mixture alternately with peach juice. I added some Malibu to the peach juice just for the fun of it, but make sure you add the Malibu to just a little bit of peach juice first as you probably won't need much juice. Don't let the mixture get too soggy.

Pour into well greased and lined pan - I use my cast iron pot so I don't bother lining it. Bake at 270F for 3 hours. Slow and steady does the job! After it comes out of the oven (well, after you take it out - it won't come out by itself) let it sit in the pan for 10 minutes or so, and turn over on a cooling rack.

Enjoy! (After it cools, that is.)

No comments:

Post a Comment